6 June, 2022
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken and Fluffy Rice from recipetineats.comPosted in : Uncategorized on by : Christine
Juicy Oven Baked Chicken and Fluffy Rice from recipetineats.com
This recipe I found for easy peasy chicken and rice I had to share. I always have some chicken thighs on hand and was looking for something quick and different than just roasting them solo and finding a side dish so I Googled "Baked chicken and rice" and found this terrific recipe on recipetineats.com. The bone-in chicken releases all it's wonderful flavor to the rice while cooking. The rice really is fluffy, flavorful and amazing. Cooks in one pan what more can you ask? Never cooking rice in a pot again! (Oh and I included two easy gravy recipes at the end if you want to get crazy.) https://www.recipetineats.com/oven-baked-chicken-and-rice/
- 5 chicken thighs skinless, bone in
- 1 onion, chopped brown, white, or yellow (or 2 lg. leeks)
- 2 cloves garlic large , minced
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 1/2 c uncooked long grain white rice Jasmin or Basamati are perfect. Just not risotto or paella, nothing short grain.
- 1 1/2 c hot chicken broth/stock microwave or stovetop w/water
- 1 1/4 c hot water hot (tap is fine) or stovetop w/stock
CHICKEN RUB (or use any mix you like, SEE NOTES!):
- 1 t paprika not smoked
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 3/4 t salt
- black pepper to taste
- Olive oil spray or butter, avocado or coconut
- Fresh thyme leaves or finelychopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Scatter onion and garlic in a baking dish (about 10 x 15" / 25 x 35 cm), then place butter in the center, just dollop it.
- Bake for 15 minutes (check at 12 minutes, mix if some bits are browning too much).
- Meanwhile, mix together Chicken Rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
- Remove baking dish from the oven. Add rice then mix well.
- Place chicken on top of rice (snug in just a little). Then slowly pour chicken hot broth and water around but not on the chicken (don't want to wash off that rub!)
- Cover tightly with foil, then bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, optionally spray chicken with oil spray (gives chicken nicer finish), then bake for a further 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5minutes. Remove chicken and fluff up rice with a fork. (Fluffing the rice is very important to acheive the desired texture.) Garnish with parsley or thyme if desired, serve and enjoy!
Chicken: Bone in thighs work best because cook time is the same as rice and stays super juicy. Skin must be removed otherwise the rice will be too greasy. Boneless skinless thigh fillets or breast: put the rice in the oven covered with foil WITHOUT the chicken. Bake for 30 minutes per recipe, then remove pan, take foil off, top with chicken and return to oven (no foil) for a further 20 - 25 minutes or until liquid in the pan is absorbed, per recipe. Spice Blend: Use what you like and change it up. Italian seasoning one night, Greek the next or do fajita spice. Get creative and it can be a different dish every night! (Add some citrus juice or wine to the broth maybe?) If scaling recipe up: use multiple pans. If scaling recipe down, use a smaller pan. Leeks: check at 10 min. to make sure they are not browning too fast. Brown rice: add an extra 1/2 cup hot water. Bake covered for 1 hour then bake uncovered 15 minutes until rice is tender. Gravy: https://www.recipetineats.com/gravy/ Mushroom Gravy: https://www.recipetineats.com/mushroom-gravy/