14 November, 2022
Babci’s 100 Year Old Pie Crust RecipePosted in : Dessert, Misc. on by : Christine
That was back in the ’80 when I got the recipe from her, there is also a note on it to “Guard with life”! This should be one heck of a good pie crust and it truly is. You won’t find a more tender and toothsome one out there and it uses just old fashion ingredients and technique. My Babci (grandma) was a prolific baker who turned out the most beautiful cookies, cakes and pies whatever the holiday and I was always there when I could be to watch, assisting when she’d let me. From my favorite baker to you.
Babci's 100 Year Old Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1 c cold leaf lard, cut into small pieces sub: unsalted butter
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 c whole milk Do not use skim
- 1 T white vinegar
- Stir the salt with the flour and cut in the lard. I use a pastry cutter or you can use two knives or rub it between your fingers. You want it to look like coarse meal when you are done.
- Mix the vinegar with the milk and let stand for a couple of minutes. Give it a stir then add a little bit at a time to the lard/flour mixture. Add enough to make the dough come together into a shaggy ball. Wrap in plastic.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes before using.