23 March, 2020
Grandma Betty’s Pot RoastPosted in : Mains, Uncategorized on by : Christine
Grandma Betty's Pot Roast
Another classic from my Midestern grandma. Stick-to-your-ribs home cooking.
Write a review
- 1 4# chuck roast
- 1 pkg onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 lg white onion, chopped
- 2 c dry red wine, one you would drink
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 c water
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Place roast in a deep roasting pan.
- Mix the onion soup, wine and cream of mushroom soup in a bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and cover the beef with the mixture.
- Bake covered at 350* for 3 1/2 hours.
- If you like add veggies during the last 45 minutes.
- There is enough seasoning in the onion soup mix that you do not need to additionally salt and pepper the beef. If you do it will be too salty.
- This is terrific with roasted veggies like new potatoes, carrots, parsnips or Brussels sprouts. Just chop them up and add during the last 45 minutes of cooking.
- I like serving this with a side of horseradish sauce. Just mix fresh prepared horseradish (available in the refrigerated section of the supermarket) with sour cream. I would say 1T horseradish per 1/2 c sour cream more or less to taste.
Christine Cuisine http://christinecuisine.com/