18 December, 2020
Homemade Irish CreamPosted in : Cocktails, Holiday on by : Christine
Homemade Irish Cream
Just as good as store bought but a lot cheaper! Went to go buy some Bailey's the other day, when did it get so expensive? This recipe is a good base so feel free to play with the flavorings and make it you own.
- Clean bottle
- 1 c cream, whole milk or evaporated milk (Use the full fat for better mouth feel)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 T chocolate syrup or to taste (sub 1 or 2 t cocoa powder)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t instant espresso powder (sub 1 1/2 t instant coffee, not decaf)
- 1 - 1 1/2 c good whiskey (don't be cheap!)
- Dump everything into a blender and blend on low speed until well combined.
- Pour into a clean bottle or just put a straw in the blender, I won't judge.
- Keeps for a few weeks if you can stay out of it.
If using cocoa powder dissolve in a little of the milk/cream first before adding to the blender. Also the amount is to taste so if you want it a little more chocolaty add a little more you have the power! I used Jack Daniels for my batch but any Irish whiskey (Jameson) or even a decent bourbon would be fine. Just make sure it is not a cheap whiskey and is something that tastes good straight. (I made a small batch with spiced rum just for grins - straight over ice better than eggnog!) Using cream or evaporated milk will give it the creamier texture of the original and make it less prone to curdling if mixed with other ingredients. Experiment! Feel the holiday spirit? Add a drop peppermint extract. Fall making you crave warm flavor? Add pumpkin spices (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger).