20 November, 2019
Orange Jalapeno Johnny CakePosted in : Sides on by : Christine
I know this is a box mix but it is my go to when I want quick and consistent, it doesn’t hurt that it’s cheap too. I also like the fact that it is versatile and very forgiving for when I want to add my own touches to it like in my Orange Jalapeno concoction. You can pretty much abuse this little box mix and it will give you great results every time. Have fun and experiment!
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix (or 1 recipe of you favorite corn bread)
- 1 lg egg
- 1/3 cup mix or milk sub
- 2 T Orange Jalapeno jam or more to taste
- -OR- 2 T orange marmalade and 1T diced pickled jalapeno, to taste
- 2 T butter, room temp
- 6-8 jarred jalapeno rings for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8" cast iron skillet with lubricant of your choice.
- Place in preheated oven while making batter but no longer than 10 minutes.
- In a med bowl beat egg with milk or milk substitute. Add jam (or marmalade & jalapenos) and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in Jiffy Mix but don't over mix, let batter stand for 3-4 min.
- Take hot pan out of oven and add the butter. Let it melt and swirl around pan to coat bottom and sides. The butter should sizzle a little and turn a little brown but not burn.
- Stir batter lightly then pour into pan.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Check for doness by inserting a wooden toothpick. You do know how to do this right? You may need to cover with foil to prevent further browning if it needs another 5 minutes baking.
- Let cool and enjoy!
- Combining the milk, eggs and jam first ensures that all of the wet ingredients will be distributed evenly without over-mixing the batter. This is also a good technique to use when making muffins.
- Try adding other flavors like lemon or apricot.
- Spice it up other ways with teaspoon Garam Masala, 5-spice or balti seasoning instead of jalapeno.